The best advice for driving a rental car with automatic transmission
The customers of car rental companies have different preferences for the gearbox. Usually those who have private car with automatic transmission choose to rent the same. If you decide to drive in urban area, the automatic transmission would be perfect, especially in the presence of many traffic lights and traffic jams.Here are few professional tips of how to exploit the rented vehicle with automatic transmission:
1. Make sere you understand what the letters mean
- P - Parking - This shift is used for parking. When you've chosen this position, the car can not move to any direction. Note that the non driving tires still have the ability to rotate and the driving ones too. This is possible because of the differntial. Therefore we advise you to use the handbrake when parking. Using them both will extend the life of the transmission. Note that when you stop the car, you can not remove the key unless you have chosen a "P"!
- R - Reverse - allows the car to move in reverse. The lights for reverse are on and it will be be good to turn on the emergency lights as well.
- N - Neutral / No gear - in this position the car is idling.
- D - Drive - To switch to this mode from standstill is necessary to first press the brake. Then you have to press the gas pedal and then the car starts.
- + / - Or M - You can use it when climbing, or you can select manual gear shifting to define the transmission in what RPM to shift the gears. You can also select this option when overtaking.
2. Position "N"
If you're going to drive downhill, or your route passes through many descents, you should not switch to neutral "N".
3. Position "R"
For reverse maneuver the car must stop completely before you switch into reverse "R".
4. The automatic transmission is not the same like the manual
It is impossible to start the engine of automatic transmission car by pishing it from the outside. So do not try this method.
5. How to proceed during the winter
We advice you when driving in winter to warm up the car for a while before driving. Otherwise you have to drive slower than 50 km/h during the first 2-3 kilometers, and not to accelerate too hard.
Top Rent A Car offers a wide variety of cars with automatic transmission. Choose the best for you based on your needs. Here are some suggestions for rental cars with automatic transmission: