Travel with a car rental in Plovdiv
General information about Plovdiv
Plovdiv is the second largest city in Bulgaria, one of the oldest in Europe, dating from 4000 BC, famous for its cultural life and abundance of ancient artifacts. Plovdiv is a unique town filled with art galleries, beautiful small streets, shops and cafes. The most visited and preferred walking part of Plovdiv is the so called "Old Town". Plovdiv is a popular center of education in Bulgaria with a large number of universities and high schools.
The old town will take you back to the 19th century, with its narrow stone streets, surrounded by houses, museums, art galleries and street artists. Only here you can enjoy the beautiful Thracian, Byzantine, Bulgarian and Roman antiquities at the same time. The most striking symbol of the city is the ancient Roman theater - one of the best preserved Roman theaters in the Balkans, which is still used for theater performances and concerts, especially in the summer.
If you plan to visit Plovdiv and have not yet booked your rental car, you may do so by using our reservations left. In recent years, Plovdiv has become an attractive destination for investors worldwide. Popular place to escape from the city buzz is a park Tsar Simeon. Plovdiv has many restaurants, cafes, bars and nightclubs. As the second largest city in Bulgaria, major transportation hub and economic center, the city is often used by tourists as an obligatory stop or the starting point of their journey to ski or beach resorts of Bulgaria, Rhodope, Greece and Turkey.
Virtual walk in Plovdiv
Tourist sites in Plovdiv
- Historical Museum - scientific and cultural institution for the collection, preservation, research and promotion of the historical evidence about the past of Plovdiv and its region between 15th and 20th centuries
- Archaeological Museum - the museum is the largest repository of archaeological treasures of Ancient Thrace
- Ethnographic Museum - store over 40,000 objects separated in the funds: Agriculture, crafts, fabrics and clothing, furniture and decor, musical instruments and ritual objects, works of art
- Natural History Museum - the museum is one of the most important in the country with its rich collections in the sections Paleontology, Mineralogy, Botany. Several rooms are devoted to wildlife, and the ground floor is the largest freshwater aquarium in Bulgaria with over 40 species of ornamental fish and amphibians. Especially valuable is the collection of Rhodope minerals
- Art Gallery - Established in the late 19th century. The fund of the State Art Gallery in Plovdiv has over 6000 original artworks exhibited in four different buildings: a permanent exhibition, museum house "Zlatyu Boyadziev" and Icon Collection on "Catholic" Constant exposure to Tcanko Lavrenov Street "Knyaz Alexander I"
- Aviation Museum - opened in 1991, it is located on the territory of Krumovo airbase, 12 km away from Plovdiv. The museum has approximately 6800 exhibits 59 aircraft flight
- Roman Theatre - built in the 2-nd century by the Roman Emperor Trajan It is situated between Dzhambaz and Taksim Tepe and probably had the capacity for about 3,500 spectators. The ancient theatre was restored in the period 1968 -1984 and now many cultural events such as the Verdifestival and International Folklore Festival are organized there
- Roman Odeon - this is the second and the smallest antique theater is an ancient Philippopolis, with seats for 350 spectators. It was built between 2c and 5c and was restored in 2004
- The Roman Forum was built in 1c and 2c under the Emperor Vespasian and has a total area of 11ha. It had been an administrative, cultural, economic and religious center
- Ancient Stadium - Built in the 2c during the ruling of Emperor Adrian. The stadium is 240 meters long and 50 meters wide, and can accommodate up to 30,000 people
- Archaeological Complex "Eirene" – The complex includes remains of a large building, built in the III - IV century and probably used as the residence for an honorary citizen of Philippopolis. There are different versions of who is Eirene depicted a floor mosaic in the representative hall of the rich home. The rooms have colorful mosaics which have geometrical forms and figures
- Architectural reserve Old Plovdiv - Old Town, as it is known, is situated on three hills – Dzhambaz Nebbett and Taksim. That's where more than 6000 years ago Thracians settled and established a fortified settlement. This part is where the most monuments of antiquity, and many houses of 17c, 18c, and 19c.
Hotels and restaurants in Plovdiv
The best hotels in Plovdiv according to Trip Advisor:
- Hebros Hotel
- Hotel Ego
- Hotel Imperial
- Hotel Nord
- Hotel Belle Ville
The most popular restaurants in Plovdiv according to Trip Advisor:
- Hebros Hotel Restaurant
- Dayana Restaurant 1
Where to find the best location for car hire in Plovdiv?
You can use Sofia as a starting point for your trip to Bulgaria or to book a car from Top Rent A Car in Plovdiv. Top Rent A Car offers direct deliveries to all cities, sea, ski and golf resorts in Bulgaria. Book rental car in Plovdiv by Top Rent A Car. Use the online form or call +359 700 89 050.