Travel with a car rental in Velingrad
General information about Velingrad
Known as "The Spa Capital of the Balkans", Velingrad is located in the Western Rhodopes, in Pazardzhik region. It is situated 130 km south of Sofia and only 80 km away from Plovdiv . The region has a wide variety of spas - 80 in number. Those, who are planning to spend a winter holiday in Velingrad, will enjoy soft and long season. The snow stays there up to 150 days.
Virtual walk in Velingrad
Tourist sites around Velingrad
Velingrad has many antique remains. There you can see mounds, tombs walls of settlements and fortresses.
The most popular attractions are:
- Kleptuza – park with 2 lakes, a symbol of the city.
- Medieval fortress Tsepina - located to Dorkovo village. The fortress became Bulgarian in the 9th century, but it was captured by Byzantium and later reclaimed to Bulgaria during the reign of Tsar Kaloyan. It has a total acreage of 25 dka, and there was a tall castle in the middle. We learn from archaeological researches that in the early Iron Age there was a Thracian settlement of the tribe "Bessi".
- Historical Museum – the museum has divisions of Archaeology , Renaissance, Ethnography, Modern and Contemporary History and Art Department. It has various archaeological finds, more than 19,000 of them, including items from the old life, books, icons, personal belongings, documents, photos and more.
- The Church "Holy Trinity" – When in the second half of XVII century Ottoman began mass conversion of the Bulgarians, some of them settled in the region of today’s neighborhood Kamenica, to keep their Christian faith and secretly built a temple there, dug into the ground.
- Around Velingrad there are several protected areas – the reserves "Valyavitsite", "Rogachitsa", "Chernovets".
- he only place in Bulgaria where you can see the plant varbolist ulmaria (Spiraea salicifolia L.) is located in the Tujnik area near to the Dospat River. The plant is in the Red Book of Bulgaria.
- Iundola resort is located 16 km from Velingrad to the northwest. The resort has several ski slopes and the snow cover lasts about 80 days per year. From there, you could go hiking to Belmeken peak (2,626 m) in Rila and Chernovets peak (1,834 m) in the Western Rhodopes.
- In the village Pobit stone, 35km away from Velingrad is the rock formation with the same name.
- The Lepenitza cave is located 13 km southwest of Velingrad. It is 1,525 meters long and has galleries on two floors, as well as an underground river and lakes. The cave offers diversity of stalactites and stalagmites, stone curtains, which are reflected in the crystal clear waters of the lake. The treasures of the cave are cave pearls and cave craters are a unique find in Bulgaria.
- Sanctuary Ostrets (1369 m altitude). There were found many remains of pottery dating from the late Iron Age (VI - I century BC).
- Light rail September - Dobrinishte
- Scenic train passes through Razlog, Bansko , Velingrad and provides a magical five-hour tour in the picturesque scenery of the Pirin and Rhodope Mountains.
- Dams "Sarnitsa", "Belmeken", "Batak", "Beglika" near Velingrad, which are a favorite destination for both fishermen and those who love mountain tourism.
- Kleptuza lake and the eponymous park with two lakes is one of the symbols of the city.
Hotels and Restaurants
The best hotels in Velingrad according to Trip Advisor are:
- Akvatonik Balneokompleks "St. Spas"
- Bor Spa Club
- Castle - Maxi
- Grand Hotel Velingrad
- Spa Hotel Palace
The most favored restaurants in Velingrad, according to Trip Advisor are:
- Tom & Nezi - Paradise
Rent a car in Velingrad
You can choose Sofia as a starting point for your journey to Velingrad. Top Rent A Car offers direct deliveries of cars to all spa resorts in Bulgaria.