Travel with a car rental in Rousse
General information about Rousse
Rousse is the fifth largest city in Bulgaria. The city is situated on the southern coast of the Danube, about 200 km north of Varna and 300 km east from Sofia. The Danube Bridge makes it one of the most important hubs for Bulgaria. Rousse is often called "Little Vienna" because of their architectural similarities - Rousse has many architectural monuments, which are present neo-baroque style, modern, neoclassical and art nouveau. Rousse is an obligatory stop on Danube cruises. There are two international airports close to the city - in Bucharest and Varna (Bucharest International Airport is only 75 km). Top Rent A Car carried delivers rental cars to each of them. With the large number of cafes, architecture, strongly influenced by Austro – Hungary, Rousse is an attractive city for tourists with a rich 20 centuries history. In the city you can see several interesting museums and near Rousse are the medieval castle rock churches and other places of interest in the National Park Rousse Lom. If you plan to visit Rousse and you have not yet booked your car, you can do so by using our reservations left.
View of Rousse and Dunabe
Tourist sites around Rousse
- Pantheon of National Revival - A monument - ossuary found on 28.02.1978 for the 100th anniversary from the Liberation. In the Pantheon are held the bones of revolutionaries and Renaissance, rebels, cultural and educational figures. Among them is Karavelov, Zahari Stoyanov, Thoma Kardzhiev, Atanas Uzunov, Olympia Panov, Dragan Tsankov and others. Pantheon of National Revival is in the list of hundred tourist sites.
- Ivanovo Rock Churches - A complex of churches and buildings carved into the rocks. It is situated 21 km southwest of Rousse, near the village of Ivanovo. The complex was founded in the early thirteenth century monk Joachim, who later became the Bulgarian Patriarch. Bulgarian kings Ivan Asen II, Ivan Alexander and other members of the royal court were among the contributors to the monastery, and their portraits have been preserved. The monastery complex combines several areas of rock. There are preserved paintings that reveal the specifics of Bulgarian religious art in XIII -XIV centuries in six of the temples. Ivanovo Rock Churches are included in the list of World heritage of UNESCO.
- Natural Park "Rousse Lom" - Located about 20 km south of Rousse, the Park is named after the river Rousse Lom. The territory of the park covers nearly 5000ha and includes archaeological reserve "Ivanovo Rock Churches". There are 90 species of mammals, 22 species of fish, 190 species of birds, 10 species of amphibians and 19 reptiles in the Park. Remnants of Thracian settlements and sanctuaries were found in the area. The oldest traces of human presence in the area date back to the Stone Age.
- Regional Historical Museum – It stores more than 130 000 exhibits, among them is the Borovo Thracian treasure dating from the IV century BC.
- Museum of urban life – It is also known as the "House of Calliope." The exhibition has recreated the interior of rich Rousse house of the late XIX and early XX century, decorated with beautiful wall paintings of Austrian artist Charles Shausberg.
Beautiful architecture in Rousse
- Museum House "Zahari Stoyanov" –It has two exposures - one dedicated to the writer and revolutionary Zahari Stoyanov, and the second follows the story of a family Obretenovi from Rousse and their activities to the national liberation movement for liberation from Ottoman rule.
- Fortress Sexaginta PRISTA – The fortress is named after one of the ancient names of the city in Roman times, which literally means "Port of sixty ships”. The exhibition reveals the scale of the castle and some of the artifacts can be viewed in the historical museum of Rousse.
- National Transport Museum - The museum is located in the building of the first railway station in Bulgaria. Among the most interesting exhibits is the carriages of kings Ferdinand and Boris III, and the saloon car of the Sultan Abdul Azis. The building of the museum has three rooms, telling the story of rail transport and shipping in Bulgaria.
- Profitable House - a beautiful building in the center of Rousse. It was built in 1901-1902, and impresses with its magnificent facade and seven sculptures on the roof. They are a symbol of art, science, agriculture, crafts, trade, defense and free flight of the spirit. At the top is the symbol of trade - Mercury.
Hotels and restaurants in Rousse
The best hotels in Rousse according to Trip Advisor:
- Anna Palace Hotel
- Cosmopolitan Hotel
- Hotel Riga
- Danube Plaza Hotel
- Best Western Bistra & Galina
The best restaurants in Rousse according to Trip Advisor:
Car hire from Top Rent A Car
- Mehana Ciflika
- Happy Bar and Grill
Where to get the best deals for car hire in Rousse?
You can book car hire in Rousse from Top Rent A Car
. If you plan to visit the city and have not booked your rental car yet, you may do so by using our booking rental system on the left. If you are traveling from Varna, Top Rent A Car
has an office of 17A, Tsar Osvoboditel, where you can rent your car, as well.